Struck from the Lead of the Temple Bar
HANOVER. temp. Victoria.
|CNG 85, Lot: 1627. Estimate $500.
Sold for $725. This amount does not include the buyer’s fee.
1837-1901. PB Medal (102mm, 601.52 g). City of London Series: Demolition of the Temple Bar. By Foot and Tebay (after C. H. & J. Mabey). Dated 1878. TEMPLE BAR : ERECTED 1672, DEMOLISHED 1878; THIS EFFIGY OF IT WS STRUCK FROM THE LEAD FORMERLY ON THE ROOF., view of the Temple Bar; below, C.H. & J. MABEY. SCULP: and FOOT & TEBAY, FECIT above banner inscribed SIR C. WREN ARCHT. / Plain. BHM 3051; Eimer 1658; Welch 15. AU, slight edge nock. Very rare and historically important.
From a California Collection of British Historical Medals.
Built by Sir Christopher Wren upon the site of an earlier structure dating from the reign of Henry VIII, the Temple Bar was an archway which served as the western limit of the City of London, also serving as a boundary between London and Westminster. Its location, however, later became problematic for the expanding city, and was demolished in 1878 in order to facilitate better traffic flow. Another piece in the City of London Series, this particular issuance of medals was struck from the lead used for the Bar’s roof.