AD 360-363. AR Siliqua (17mm, 1.97 g, 6h). Lugdunum (Lyon) mint. Struck AD 360-361. FL CL IVLIA NVS P P AVG, pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right / VOTIS/V/MVLTIS/X in four lines within wreath with large central medallion; LVG. RIC VIII 218; Lyons 261; RSC 163†a. EF, find patina, small flan crack.
From the Harptree Hoard 1887.
CNG is pleased to present a selection of coins from the Harptree Hoard of 1887. This hoard was discovered in the village of East Harptree, located approximately 16 miles southwest of Bath. The hoard consisted of 1496 silver coins, five silver ingots, and a Roman silver ring set with a carnelian intaglio stone. The coins are 4th century, covering the period of Constantine the Great to Gratian (circa AD 306 to 383). The landowner, Mr. William Kettlewell, made the hoard available to the British Museum, and it was first written up by John Evans in The Numismatic Chronicle of 1888 (pp. 22-46). The British Museum kept 25 of the most interesting coins from the hoard, and the rest of hoard was returned to the owner.
A portion of the hoard, along with the original jug that contained them, was given to a local church for display by William Kettlewell’s son, Colonel Kettlewell. These were eventually stolen. Many years later, the balance of the hoard, nearly 1200 pieces, was given to the father of the individual who subsequently consigned the hoard to Spink, where they were sold last year. Spink wrote-up the hoard for their INSIDER Magazine (Summer 2016 issue). Overall, the quality of the Harptree Hoard is exceptional. The coins exhibit beautiful surfaces with lovely cabinet toning, with very little clipping – remarkable condition for coins of this period.
A rare opportunity to own a coin from a documented hoard found 130 years ago.