Search in The Coin Shop


CNG Bidding Platform

Information

Products and Services



The Coin Shop

 
566953
566953.

GERMANY, Frankfurt (Stadt). Cast Æ Plaquette (49x61mm, 65.22 g, 12h). Inauguration of the Synagogue of the Israelitische Religionsgesellschafton Friedberger Anlage, 29 August 1907. By Karl Goetz. Dated 1907. Sun rising behind façade of new synagogue, seen in perspective; above, House of Prayer Yeshurun in Hebrew; all within ornate arched widow set on four steps; NEUE SYNAGOGE DER JSR. RELIGIONSGES. ZU FRANKFURT A.M above; in two lines in exergue, EINGEWEIHET AM 29. AUGUST 1907 and corresponding date in Hebrew with additional quote from Isaiah 54:2, Blank. Edge: K · GOETZ. Kienast 394. Brown surfaces. EF. Of important historical interest.


Providing for 1600 worshippers, the Synagogue of the Israelitische Religionsgesellschaft on Friedberger Anlage was Frankfurt’s largest synagogue at the time. Designed by the renowned Berlin architects Peter Jürgensen and Jürgen Bachmann, the building incorporated contemporary decorative elements. Representatives of the Prussian Government and the City of Frankfurt took part in the ceremonies. During Kristallnacht in November 1938, the synagogue was set ablaze. While the synagogue was not completely destroyed, the Nazis claimed that it was in so great a danger of collapsing and threatening the public, that the remains had to be demolished. The Jewish Community was ordered to do so at its own cost. During World War II, a high-rise bunker was built on the foundations of the synagogue. While the bunker still exists today, it is now used for a permanent exhibition documenting Jewish life in Frankfurt's Ostend.